Thursday, December 21, 2006

Children of Men

Children of Men is a powerful piece of filmmaking. Along with Pan’s Labyrinth, it’s the best film of 2006. The film takes place in the future where humans all of a sudden can no longer procreate.

Alfonso Cuarón is a master filmmaker. He uses several long, complex, continuous shots which brings you into his film world and heightens the intensity. It is a amazing use of mise-en-scene which shows you what a brilliant artist Cuaron is. I don’t recall seeing him do such shots in his other films and it is a bravura move here.

Clive Owen continues to show me that ever since I first saw him in those BMW short films that he is a actor worthy of praise. He plays a character who initially is just going through the motions of life. Purpose is all of a sudden thrust upon him and he sees there may be hope for humanity.

I was awed by this film. I see so many movies in a year that are bad or mediocre that whenever I see one that moves me and shows me what great art film can be, it just intensifies the flame inside me to make such films as well.

No comments: